Friday 19 September 2008

Commissions & Collaborations

Working to some-one else's specifications on a commissioned piece of glass can be a either a joy or a nightmare. Fortunately for me, most commissioned glass has been a happy experience.

It helps immensely if the customer has an understanding of the versatility and the limitations of fused glass and that the customer can convey the idea so that I can visualise the glass. The perfect customer is also one who will come back and ask for alterations that are workable and not impossible.



Most of my designs start out with a doodle or a drawing in a sketchbook. If working with color is the main element of the design I use watercolors to translate colors onto the page. Although not a perfect match, the transluscency of watercolor paint is the closest I am going to get to transparent glass. These designs were for a commission for quiltmaker Carolinasquirrell who makes the most amazing strip quilts from the selvedge edge of bolts of cloth. She wanted two sun catchers in transparent colored glass based on the strip quilt design.


After emailing my initial designs and color schemes we finally came up with the design of colors in blocks of three with the metal hanging wires fused at a corner of the glass so that it hangs at a right angle.

Here is the finished design for both quilt sun catchers. They measure 4.5" and are made from transparent Bullseye glass. I really enjoyed the experience and look forward to working with Carolinasquirrell again in the future.



4 comments:

  1. I love glass!! I yearn to learn more about it! I recently took a day workshop on making glass beads (not the same I know) and it was so nice to see this material changind form in from of my eyes. Great stuff.
    And I love red too! My very very fave color!




    www.florcita.eu

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been tagged! I hope you enjoy it...
    http://lebarduvent.blogspot.com/2008/10/ive-been-tagged-jai-t-tague.html

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments - I love to hear from you.