|My first finished sample|
I have finished my first weaving sample.
I thought I would have a try at weaving circles - they came out bigger than I thought they would. The cream coloured one turned out the best. After the first one (on the left) I realised that I needed to make the sides of the circle longer so that it would keep its shape and not look squashed. After that I wove a row of soumak before moving onto straight lines.
Below the circles I attempted to weave a blend of beige, cream and brown lines but I made a bit of a pig's ear of it (weaving three colours under electric light wasn't such a good idea) so I tried it again after the circles by using only two colours (rust and cream). Definitely an improvement. My final band has been to practice shapes with a wavy background of a slightly thicker yarn.
I can't begin to tell you how therapeutic this has been so far - it really takes all my concentration. This has to be good for the soul!
I've cut the sample from the frame and woven all the ends into the back. My next sample will be straight lines because I need to practice getting the selvedge even - it's quite lumpy and bumpy.